Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Week 18

Conference is like Christmas to a missionary. It's the best weekend of the whole year!! I hope that everyone enjoyed their conference weekend!! Honestly in the past conference has just been an excuse to have church in my pajamas and get some extra naps in.. but I have learned to appreciate it so much more! We truly are so blessed to be able to have the guidance of a living prophet and apostles. One of my favorite parts of conference was being able to listen to the testimonies of the 3 new apostles. It was so powerful! I felt the spirit so strongly when all three of them were speaking and I know that they were all called of God. There were so many things to take away from conference, one of my favorite things was to "Ponderize" a scripture each week. Sister Hill and I are totally doing this! Let me know some of your favorite scriptures that you think would be good to ponderize. As Elder Durrant said.. When our minds are filled with uplifting ideas/thoughts there is no room for filth. As we ponder and keep a scripture in our heart all week long, there will be no room for us to think negative thoughts. I LOVE IT! Email or write me and tell me some of your favorite conference insights:) 
Other than conference we had another pretty good week. 
Last week we had a really awesome lesson with Rose and Steve. They have been reading from the BOM and not really getting much out of it. So we decided to read with them and help them apply it to their lives and they LOVED it! We tried to help them understand that it is not so much about understanding the story line as it is to pick out the principles that apply to our lives from the story. Applying the BOM to our lives is the best!! They have not been as progressing as much as we would like.. but they did watch one session of conference and told us the things they learned so that was good!
On Tuesday we had exchanges. WOOO! Sister Dunn came here to Potosi. Exchanges are my favorite because you get to learn new things from other missionaries. From Sister Dunn I learned that we don't have to know all the answers as missionaries. The best way to help people is to have them ask God. If they have a serious question that they sincerely want an answer to, God will let them know if they only ask. It's pretty simple when you think about it. As missionaries we don't have to have all of the answers, but we can guide people in where to find the answers. It was good to have Sister Hill back on Wednesday. I have gained a testimony of the power of companionships. I have been blessed with the best companions!!
We read from the BOM with Julie K. this week which is becoming my favorite thing to do with our investigators! We talked about the difference between Nephi and his brothers Laman and Lemuel and their attitudes about being obedient. We asked Julie who she wanted to be like and she said "I wanna be like Nephi and go to the promised land." Hahah it was too funny! 
I hit my 4 month mark on Saturday. It's crazy to think it's been 4 months since I left to go to the MTC. Being a missionary is so weird, honestly. It hit me this last weekend as we were visiting someone. I just thought "Oh my goodness, I am going to be doing this for the next 14 months of my life." It really is a blessing though to be able to separate myself from the world and help bring others to Christ. More than anything, on my mission I have learned not only how I want to be as a missionary, but how I want to be when I go back home. Living the gospel of Jesus Christ is not just a hobby, it is truly a lifestyle. 
I hope that you all have a great week!
XOXO 
Sister Turpin 

Exchanges with Sister Dunn and Sister Ewell

The cutest bunny!
The great state of Missouri!

Sister Hill and Sister Turpin at the church just getting done with conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment